Doing a Home Colonic
Tara Carpenter, NC.
Holistic nutrition for people on The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D.).
My first colonic was in a tiny, dorm bathroom with friends in college while experimenting with “water fasting”. I did not do one again until I was 30 and diagnosed with systemic yeast overgrowth. I felt stumped on how to heal such a stubborn health condition.
The relentless bloating, acne, and fatigue motivated me forward as I wanted to feel better and when a friend lent me a book called The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D.), written by Donna Gates, I knew this was the answer to my prayer as a chapter was dedicated to how colon cleansing can bring balance to yeast, bacterial, or viral overgrowth.
When a person adheres to the healing foods promoted in this diet the body goes into a cleansing mode and is triggered to “dump” pathogens (i.e., viruses, bacteria, yeast) into intestines.
Colonics help to keep things moving along ….
Colonics remove excess yeast, bacteria, and viruses living in the body.
I booked an appointment with a certified I-ACT hydrotherapist and began to follow the B.E.D. protocol of eating; especially the way food was combined on my plate (food combining). I am fortunate to have a colon therapist closeby as many people must drive hours to get a colonic!
At my 4th colonic session, I watched a ‘thick paste” move through the clear tubing of the colonic. After that, I felt relieved in my bloating and encouraged to keep moving forward in my health; with each subsequent colonic, I felt lighter, my skin clearer, and my attitude more upbeat.
I loved my professional colonics, yet they came at a price. When my sisters called to see what I wanted for my birthday that year, I said a colenz colema board!! Many years have passed since this time and still I feel good about making this sound investment. Though, I no longer use my board on a regular basis as I once did, I am glad to have one in the case I need it.
Quiz to see if yeast overgrowth may be part of your health issues.
How I do a colonic:
First, here’s the board and bucket I use.
- Fill 5-gallon bucket with warm water. We have a well and pure water, so I do this straight from tap. When I rented, I boiled a pot of water on the stove, let cool to body temperature, and poured into colema bucket. Make sure valve on your tube is closed so water doesn’t come out!
- Hang bucket of water above toilet on hook; bottom of bucket should be 2 feet from board.
- Run clear tubing through hole on top of board, attach rectal tube (straw sticking out in photo) to tubing and open main valve, let a bit of water out to release water bubbles (don’t forget or water won’t flow once tube is in rectum), close valve, lubricate 3 inches of rectal tube tip with oil.
- Set up board on stool the height of toilet bowl, make sure sturdy enough to hold your weight.
- Put down chuck pad which can be cut in half because you don’t need a whole one.
- Place stack of towels at top of board where head will be with an extra towel (or 2!) next to the board (trust me, you’ll reach for this).
- Lock bathroom door 🙂
- Get on board, lube yourself with oil (I use calendula salve), insert rectal tube (lubricated), place bum against opening of the board and there you stay; you shouldn’t feel the tubing and should have no pain or discomfort.
- Lay back with head on towels, bend knees or stretch them up to rest on wall and cover with towel.
- Open valve and let warm water flow in. I keep valve open the whole time. When I first started, I had tightness/cramping, so I closed the valve here ‘n there to let cramps pass and the peristaltic reflex do its thing. Now, I can let the water run and that works well.
- When bucket is empty, close valve, flush toilet, and gently lift off rectal tubing. Slide bum to edge of board and press a piece of toilet paper there in order to get into the shower without any mess.
- Take the best shower of your life! Sigh deeply and relax ….
- Clean bathroom; sanitizing anything that needs sanitizing. I joke that home colonics has made my bathroom cleaner than ever. Toss out the chuck pad, rinse colema board in tub, and spray down with disinfectant. Same with the toilet …. disinfect and scrub. I put the rectal tube in a narrow small glass jar with 10% bleach-water solution and let sanitize a few minutes. Wipe down floor and tub.
- Leave bathroom a whole new person with a new outlook on life (+ clean bathroom); the entire process takes about 1hour start to finish.
To find a certified colon hydrotherapist,https://www.i-act.org/
“The colon is the gateway to health or disease.” ~ Edward F Group III, ND
In-Home Cooking for The Body Ecology Diet
Making Boluses for a Vaginal Yeast Infection
Cleansing Before a Colonoscopy
This blog post may contain affiliate links, read here to learn more.
Disclaimer: Content on this site in form of opinions, ideas, recipes, and dietary advice are provided for general information only; primarily educational in nature; and should not be treated as a substitute for your doctor’s medical advice or other health professional that you, the reader, may require for any cause whatsoever, now or in future. Always consult a doctor regarding any health problem you have and keep him/her informed to the opinions, ideas, recipes, and dietary advice that you find useful at this website.
May all bellies be happy!