These treats are easy to make and perfect for the lunchbox. You can also pop them right into your mouth for an ‘anytime treat’. They’re rich in coconut oil and satisfy with a creamy, sweet taste.
I created this recipe for The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D) which advocates ditching sugar and practicing food combining. Both of which help to starve out the bad yeast living in your gut.
These treats are both delicious and combine well with most foods (leave out almonds if you want to eat them with meat). This recipe is free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar. They’re safe for those on GAPS or Paleo and for diabetics.
Almond Bonbon Hearts: B.E.D. Recipe (stage 1)
Makes: 20 hearts
1 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup soaked/dehydrated almonds (optional)
2 tsp dried orange zest, minced
1/2 – 1 tsp stevia powder (or few drops of liquid stevia)
1/2 tsp almond extract, alcohol/sugar free
- Crush the almonds, or chop fine with a knife.
- Sprinkle chopped almonds into the bottom of a silicone, heart-shaped mold.
- Melt coconut oil in a slightly warmed skillet.
- Add zest stevia, and almond extract.
- Pour liquid into heart tray.
- Place in freezer until hardened.
- Store in fridge or freezer in an airtight container.
- Use only 1/2 tsp of stevia powder to begin with and then sweeten more if needed.
- Gently melt coconut oil at or until 77 degrees F, to not harm beneficial fatty acids.
- Replace the almonds with small edible flowers, such as lavender, for a pretty touch.
- Choose a variety of extracts to flavor candies, like orange or vanilla extract.
- Try other shapes (i.e. dinosaur, pigs, stars), great molds at kitchen stores or online.
- Pop these bonbons into gift boxes and stockings, you can find little boxes at a Party Store.
- Perfect for those on B.E.D., GAPS, Paleo, and diabetics.
- Other fun treats for stage 1…cinnamon kisses, coconut truffles, pumpkin pie.
Probiotic Purple Potion
Celebrating Easter on B.E.D.
Nutritional Support with Tara (via phone or Skype
May all bellies be happy!