These heavenly bonbons are free of most common allergens and acceptable for stage 2 of The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D). If you have food sensitivities, you know how hard it can be to find a treat that tastes good with ingredients that are “allowed”. This is especially true if you’re traveling or away from the comforts of your kitchen.
I always keep a few different kinds of treats ready-made in the freezer that I can pull out and eat when a sweet craving hits. I also like to pack them in my purse or the kids’ lunchbox. During the holidays, I’ll package a few up with other kinds of bonbons (party store sells paper boxes for just this) or wrap a trio in parchment paper as stocking stuffers.
This recipe is gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free.
Sunny Cocoa Truffles
2 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (soaked and dehydrated)
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut (culture for stage 1)
1/3 – 1/2 cup glycerin (or raw honey if allowed)
1/4 cup flax seeds, fresh ground
1/4 cup raw cocoa powder
2 Tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil, melted (or ghee if tolerated)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (alcohol/sugar free)
1/2 tsp sea salt
Toppings: cocoa powder, lightly roasted shredded coconut, ground flax seeds, or ground sunflower seeds
- Grind sunflower seeds, glycerin, coconut oil, and vanilla in a Vita-Mix or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place in a bowl with all other ingredients – mixing well.
- Moisten hands and roll out tablespoon portions.
- Roll each truffle in topping of your choice and place on a tray.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until hard.
- Store in airtight container in fridge or freezer.
Tips & Tricks
- Gently melt the coconut oil until slightly liquid to not harm its beneficial fatty acids.
- Stores well for up to 1 month, longer if kept in the freezer.
- Instead of rolling in a topping, dip balls into melted dark chocolate. Cool on wax paper.
Note: This is a transitional or occasional treat for those healing a bacterial or yeast infection. It’s best to culture and dehydrate the coconut to make this a more acceptable recipe for Stage 2 of B.E.D. This takes a bit of time, but you can make a bunch at once and freeze.
May all bellies be happy!