Making Raw “Liver Pills”
Holistic nutrition for digestion; specialized in yeast overgrowth.
Tara Carpenter, NC.
Raw liver pills are a no-fuss, flavorless way to eat liver and easy as taking a multi-vitamin. The hardest part is sourcing pastured beef liver and two, getting in the kitchen to make them!
See here how my family eats liver.
I will state the importance of sourcing pasture-raised cow liver or get from a local farmer who freezes the liver soon after slaughtering. Do NOT use conventional supermarket liver as you will be consuming these raw and conventional liver is a health risk due to poor bacteria levels.
Raw Beef Liver Pills
100% grass-fed/pastured beef liver, partially thaw if frozen
- Thaw liver if frozen, but not completely or it will be hard to cut.
- Rinse liver and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Cut liver into pea-sized chunks– about size of a regular pill.
- Place pieces, separated, on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Flash-Freeze for 15 minutes or until solid, so don’t clump together.
- Transfer frozen liver pills to airtight container; store in freezer.
- Swallow 2-4 frozen pills/day or how many fit for your body.
Tips & Tricks
- Further eliminate risk of parasites by freezing liver 14 days before cutting into pills. If you trust your farmer you may not need to be concerned about freezing; esp. if 100% grass-fed (not grain-fed).
- If liver is fresh, put in freezer until hardens a bit to make the cutting process easier.
- 2-4 liver ‘pills’ a day add to 1/2 – 1 ounce per week, which equals 1 serving of beef liver per week (average of 2-3 oz of liver can be safely consumed per week by most source).
- Do not make “pills” too big or may get stuck in throat.
- Best to consume “liver pills” on a regular basis for good results.
- Beef and bison liver deliver the most bang for your buck.
Other ways to take liver pills: CLICK to purchase Radiant Life’s desiccated liver capsules made from the livers of grass-fed cows without added fillers. They are expensive, so if you prefer liver in dried, capsule form check out this site to make your own. Personally, I keep a handful of dehydrators and use my biggest to dry strips of beef liver in and then pulverize them in a magic bullet and encapsulate using a capsule maker. This is an affordable way to make them if you have the equipment.
Where to Get Pastured Liver
- Local Harvest – enter zip code and find local farmers.
- Weston A Price Foundation – get in touch with local chapter for pasture-raised liver.
- US Wellness Meats – trusted company with pastured liver, inc. bison liver.
What about cooked liver? Cooked liver is great, yet cooking destroys the enzymes in raw liver and leaves behind mainly nutrients (exception of delicate B vitamins). If you can’t source high quality liver to consume in raw form, then cook liver with one of these recipes.
My son eating cow liver gently fried in coconut oil.
Empowered Sustenance (2013). The Easiest Way to Eat Liver. Retrieved at https://empoweredsustenance.com/the-easiest-way-to-eat-liver-no-taste-no-fuss/
Healthy Home Economist (2013). Exhausted? This Superfood Can Get You Off the Couch! Retrieved at https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/exhausted-this-superfood-can-get-you-off-the-couch/
Primally Inspired (2013). Frozen Raw Liver Pills. Retrieved at https://www.primallyinspired.com/friday-favorites-frozen-raw-liver-pills/
Razaitis, L. (2005). Recipes & Lore About Our Most Important Sacred Food. Retrieved at https://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/liver-files
Disclaimer: Content on this site in the form of opinions, ideas, recipes, and dietary advice are provided for general information only; primarily educational in nature; and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your health care professional that you, the reader, may require for any cause whatsoever, now or in future. Always consult your doctor regarding any health issue that you have and keep him or her informed as to the opinions, ideas, recipes, and dietary advice offered on this site that you find useful.
May all bellies be happy!