These cookies are perfect for anyone on The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D). My kids love them and I like that the dough doesn’t make a sticky mess on the counter when rolling out. Not bad for a cookie without eggs, dairy, or grain 😉
You’ll see lakanto listed in the ingredients. This sugar doesn’t feed harmful yeast or bacteria in the body. Making a great sugar substitute for anyone with yeast or bacterial issues. Diabetics too, because lakanto doesn’t influence blood sugar or insulin release.
As with most of my recipes, this one came about when I was inspired to create an occasional treat that my kids could eat while on B.E.D. I wanted them to partake in the tradition of making roll-out cookies during the holidays. I think I did it, but you let me know! Enjoy, share, have fun decorating them, that’s the best part.
Almond Roll-Out Cookies
Prep time: 15 min // Cook time: 10 min
Makes: 1 dozen
Egg, dairy, grain, and sugar-free
- 2 ½ cup blanched almond flour*
- 2/3 cup ghee or coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup lakanto*
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (optional)
- Combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Mix oil, sweetener and almond extract in a small bowl.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients.
- Place dough in fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll dough between 2 pieces of wax paper, 1/4-inch thick.
- Remove top piece of wax paper and sprinkle dough with some almond flour.
- Cut cookies into shapes.
- Place shapes on parchment-lined cookie sheet with metal spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees until edges are light brown, 8-12 minutes.
- Cool before handling or they will break.
Tips & Tricks
- Use coconut oil or red palm oil instead of the ghee.
- Replace lakanto with an equal amount of coconut sugar.
- Replace 1 cup of the almond flour with 1 cup of sunflower seed flour.
- Add orange zest.
- This is a friendly recipe for those on a Paleo, B.E.D*, or GAPS as an occasional treat.
- Top cookies with a basic white frosting or flax frosting.
*For those practicing The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D.), treat yourself to almond flour just occasionally. The reason is that it’s acidic, dehydrating, mucous-forming, inflammatory, and contains phytic acid. The best is to soak, dehydrate, and grind the almonds into flour.
Adapted from https://elanaspantry.com/star-cookies/
May all bellies be happy!